A Continuacion...

Hola mis amigos y Bienvenidos a mi Blog otra vez! Two days in a row - that's a record here at 'honduraskeiser'. We should celebrate or something..............I've got nothing, never mind. Let's just pick up with where we left off. When we left Matthew yesterday he was in the middle of supporting a Hunger Strike in Central Park and dancing with Garifunas...let's see what happened to him.



Hmmm...so he's still hanging out at the Huelga de Hambre (Hunger Strike) with some of the local Garifunas. They're descendants of Caribbean slaves who now live in coastal villages throughout Honduras, Belize & Nicaragua. In addition to Spanish they speak their own language which is nothing like Spanish and many know English as well.

I couldn't resist, you can find some of the strangest and funniest 'thrift-store' t-shirts in Central America. I'm in Heaven.

Even the local Swiss showed up to support...seriiously.

...but, moving on...

During my second week in La Ceiba my church, Iglesia Menonita Central threw me a welcome party...it was strange...and fun...and uplifting.

First they re-enacted my arrival, they made it a point to comment on my mountain of luggage, I only had 3 suitcases but they enlarged that to 10 for the skit. (I'm the guy in the middle by the way).

Here they're pretending to she me around town.

Then they dressed me up in an apron and made me memorize the names of foods for the purpose of...

Making me sell said food to the congregation, i.e. to make a fool of me.


I did a great job.

The Pastor's son

Even Marla, my adopted mother got in on the act.

One Wednesday Pastor Betty and Hermana Juanita invited me along to Corozal, a Garifuna village, to minister to some of the Christians there...

This is a seaside village.


As I mentioned yesterday the Mennonites, nay, most Christians in general are a mite restrictive when it comes to entertainment. Thus when the Carnival celebrating Saint Isidor (San Isidro) came to town it was made clear, many, many times that Christians could not attend said celebratory functions. Saturday however there was a parade to kick-off the festivities and my boss, a high-ranking member of the Church practically ordered me to go to observe the parade and get a taste for the local culture...I only stayed for 15 minutes lest any wayward Mennonite see me and think poorly of their newest missionary.


A few days before the CarnivalEach intersection along San Isidro Blvd. had mini-stages where people would congregate and dance at all hours of the night. I didn't attend this part. Notice the soldiers guarding the stage during the day.

The Parade...this was one of the hottest days I've ever experienced and I was beginning to feel claustrophobic ...which probably lent itself to me leaving soon after arriving.

Truth in Advertising

Bimbo is a bread company that sponsored a float in the parade...I loved the irony.


So that's about it for my major adventures, I'll leave you with a few random shots I've taken around the city.

A little ways from home

Homework & Hammock Time

My place of employment. Translation: Peace & Justice Project, Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church. We offer mediation in interpersonal conflicts and education in nonviolent peace (is there violent peace?)

My roommate

Well folks that about does for this week, two days in a row, what a treat. Come on back next to hear about my first week with the gang members and my weekend trip to Trujillo. Blessings to you this week. Peace!

- Matt

Comments

Sonia said…
In my honest opinion, you can post everyday and I would still comment on every single one. That's how much I enjoy your writing and photos :)
The Bimbo thing. I was dying. And dude, your church folks are so cute!
Unknown said…
Ah Mateo...sounds like things are moving along quite swiftly! Loved the Bimbo pictures. One of the reasons I've not purchased a Saprissa jersey - just can't see myself walking around with BIMBO on the front of me...ah well. See you soon!
kendra said…
matty k - ur facial expressions when the church folk made a mockery of you are priceless! still fun to read the blogs king.

Popular posts from this blog

Another Migrant Crisis

Coming to Honduras

10 Years In Honduras