A Weekly Journal Chronicling My Life
As It Intersects With The Garbage Dump Community Near La Ceiba, Honduras

Monday, May 18, 2009

Free Day

This past Friday the kids had off school...it seems to me that they have entirely too many days off school but I it's out of my hands. Anyway, they had off school so we decided to take a day trip to the Zacate River. The Zacate flows out of the mountains and through the Pineapple Plantation and dries out before it reaches the ocean; farther up though there is a swimming hole that is absolutely beautiful. I had been there twice with Nelson and one other kid from Laureles, he had been so impressed that he came back and talked non-stop to the other kids about how amazing it was; so it was by unanimous vote that the kids opted for a trip to Zacate. Marla, a lady from the church loaned me her truck and I managed to load 19 kids in the back and off we went for the day. It was a little hectic and I don't think I'll do a 19-kid day trip again anytime soon but it was also a lot of fun.

Blessings to you all. Peace!

- matt

2 comments:

Missionaries in La Ceiba, Honduras said...

I too wonder when the kids actually have / are in school. Anyway - let me know if you need help in the future - 19 kids is a LOT - you do have friends! If we are free - we can help :-)

Nancy Marshall said...

Hi Matt,

What an awesome day and what a beautiful spot to go swimming...but oh how dangerous! Yikes! I bet you were stressed all day watching the kids..some who cant swim... jump from the high place into the water below.
I thank God for protecting all of them..and you.
Next time take a girl (smile).
Peace to you,
Nancy