And We're Back

Welcome back dear readers after what seems like a month long hiatus – I think it was almost that in fact. Anyways I’ll dispense with the pleasantries and get right down to business; I’ve had quite the eventful past few weeks not the least of which was my sojourn in Costa Rica. As I mentioned in my previous post, I was required by Honduran law to leave the country for at least 3 days because I don’t have any sort of permanent resident status; what’s more, EMM requires that I take a vacation once every year (and I’m not allowed to take said vacation in the U.S.). So, being the resourceful little missionary that I am, I decided to kill two birds with one stone and renew my visa and take a short vacay in rainy Costa Rica all at once….it was glorious. I stayed with Flora and family for the ten days that I was there, I met up with Gringo friends from the language school, hung out in La Carpio, celebrated my friend Alejandra’s birthday with her and spent every day with Jeffrey. I packed a lot in and I don’t know how better to describe it than with a pictorial narrative so here goes:
View of La Ceiba from Above La Ceiba
LA CARPIO
Lapiz is so cool!

Weight-training

Rhonda & Antony...Come to find out that Antony is really Honduran and will be in the area for Christmas, he's one of my favorites so I'm gonna hang out with him during the holiday...turns out Rhonda will be moving to Hondie too, I can't wait for that she's awesome.

So the cool thing about this foto is that it's my final shot of the La Carpio Bridge...it came down (with help) the following week...I'll explain later on.


Dylan, not from La Carpio but Hatillos (an equally rough barrio) and possibly one of the coolest and most genuine person I've ever met regaled us with his Breakdancing.
The next day Lalo and I went with the boys to Ojo de Agua for a dip in the pool...this is Nelson after lunch.
We brought Dylan and his grandmother too.
After the waterpark we had Breakdance class...Roberto.
-
So I've really run out of time today so I'll continue this foto narrative tomorrow.
So I had my first experience of being violently ill in Honduras…my Honduran compatriots blame it on Costa Rica, they say I brought the illness with me…it set in 4 days after I got back so I’m doubting their opinions. It only lasted a day but it was debilitating, I was violently vomiting, on the toilet and I couldn’t move from the pain that was coursing through my entire body. Despite how awful it was it did give me an opportunity to feel immense care and support; I had all manner of people dropping by, offering medicine, Gatorade and Burger King Cheeseburgers. That’s right, one of my good friends Nelson, woke me from my stupor, told me that I had Dengue fever which means the second time I get it could be fatal and told me that I should eat something – he thrust a sack of cheeseburgers and French fries into my hand and told me to take care…despite the pain it was all I could do to keep from laughing (and vomiting from the sight of food). I saved them though and ate them the next day for lunch.

So a quick update on Angel and the crew from El Confite...whilst I was away in C.R. apparently the rogue policemen stepped up their efforts to kill Angel and his friends; no one is really sure why they've een targeted but alas thus is the sitch. PPJ in turn secreted them out of the La Ceiba area this past week to a different city where they'll stay until it's safe to come back. I wasn't able to accompany them but Marvin went and he reported that it was an emotional time - he said it was incredible seeing these hardened gangsters crying and praying and thanking him profusely for saving their lives, I can only imagine. Speaking of gangsters, I began working last week!!!!!!! Ay, Por Fin!!!!!!! Marvin and I went to a Barrio and met with a group of youth there not all of whom are involved with the Maras but all of whom are at serious risk. It was an awesome time and I loved it...it reminded me of working in La Carpio, which was nice.

One last quick note, a group from Frazer Mennonite comes today and I can't wait to see them. I love those people like family and it should be an great week of fellowship, reminiscing and fun...I'll keep you posted with photos and stories.Ok, that's it for this week - I hope you enjoyed the photos. Blessings to you this week. Peace!
- Matt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Migrant Crisis

Coming to Honduras

10 Years In Honduras