A Goal of Sorts


So this is off topic a bit from my normal ramblings on the life and happenings of the Laureles community but something hit me the other day as I was brooding silently in a corner. I'm getting old. I'm 28 and neither as spry and energetic nor as mentally dextrous as I used to be, that I know to be for certain. More importantly there are a lot of meaningless goals that I have set out for myself to accomplish and the clock is ticking. Goals like learning German, taking up piano, writing a book, owning a railroad and floating a "Huck Finn"-like raft down the mighty Susquehanna. This revelation of my impending mortality and complete lack of meaning in life then spurned me to start acting on these goals before I reach 35 and all hope is lost. Thus I've decided to open a railroad between La Ceiba and the Garbage Dump, we'll call it the "Trash Train" and we'll offer on-board promotion of recycling and conservation. Ok, that's not really where my mind went - it actually started thinking about all the older Mennonites and even lots of older Non-Mennonites that I know and their beautiful ability to recall word for word and note for note the songs in our hymnals. I've always been envious of the skill, I wish someone had taken the time to teach me the hymns when I was young, I wish the Mennonite Church still had the custom of sending their children to "Singing School", I wish I had taken interest in this before the majority of my synapses stopped firing. Nevertheless, I am not a slave to my past, other people's decisions or my own brain's lack of gumption; I've decided to memorize the various Mennonite Hymnals starting with that awful Blue version and working my way backwards. I already know HWB#1 - What Is This Place...anyone care to join me on the Trash Train to Mennonite Bliss?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Migrant Crisis

Coming to Honduras

10 Years In Honduras