Well How About This...

As luck (or misfortune, however you may choose to view it) would have it, I missed the afternoon bus to San Pedro Sula which is the first leg of my journey to Belize. Don't worry though I can still get there it just means I have to catch the 7:00 pm bus. This of course means that I have an overabundance of time to blog and in that I haven't done that in a week (yesterday doesn't really count) I figured I ought.
-
So here goes, the first on my list is our field trip to the local university. Some of you remembercons out there may recall that last October we took a similar field trip at the behest of one of the members of my church who also teaches there. Well, she set something up again this year, invited 20 of my rowdiest boys and cooked them a lunch that couldn't be beat. Daisy, that's the Mennonite/College Prof., teaches gym and so the day was spent playing soccer...which I suppose we could have done just as well in Laureles but hey, it's all about the roadtrip. In that there was no school that day, after our time at the university ended, we decided to swing by one of our favorite swimming holes for a quick dip. Ok, really, not much of this is terribly profound...but the pictures are nice which has to count for something.

loaded up in the truck and ready to go...i especially like jimy and his fixation with his pretend cell phone

a little practice before the trip

chihua

oder leaping for a catch

abel and anuar

kevin

oder and tavito

running for the shade

some after-the-fact calisthenics

some more

pato opted to guard the soda

On to a new topic; a quick thought really. I was hanging out with Sergio the other day and we decided to stop off at one of our favorite cafes to take some coffee and avoid the sun. The cafe is is also a bit of a reading room and caters to backpacker, hippie types and so is overflowing with bad books and almost equally bad art. Books and paintings are simply piled up everywhere you turn and they don't leave much room for the actual sitting down and enjoyment of cafe. While waiting for our coffee, Sergio picked up one of the countless racy romance novels that are there for mere aesthetic and which will almost certainly never be read and remarked "How ugly it is to pick up a really thick book (all romance novels seem to be absurdly thick by the by) and have it weigh nothing in your hands." I thought about it for a minute and then quickly agreed with him - it seems to me that thick books that weigh nothing almost certainly have nothing to offer, they are in essence nothing, just a lot of air and empty words. We're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover but maybe we should start judging them by their weight. That's all I've got. Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Migrant Crisis

Coming to Honduras

10 Years In Honduras