Christmas Eve Eve

what am I doing up at 2:42 in the morning?
why is cesar posing in front of a fake christmas tree?

why do i look like a punk rocker?

who invited michael jackson?

why is manuel wearing my favorite sweater?

why are we drinking coffee at 2:42 in the morning?

???

we're waiting to kill a pig

and it eat right quick
My neighbors, a lot of families here in Laureles really, have been raising a pig all this past year so that come Christmas there is pork to eat. The early morning of December 23rd is the day most families here slaughter their pigs and mine was no exception. In that we did the axing at 3 am we decided not to sleep and instead pass the night drinking coffee, playing dominos and Dutch Blitz (they're really good at Dutch Blitz by the by). After eating the traditional post-slaughter breakfast of fat back and yuca at 5 am Manuel and I headed for the house where we slept till nigh on noon. I know it may not strike most of you out there as terribly Christmas-y but I assure you this has become one of my favorite Christmas customs here in Honduras.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Migrant Crisis

Coming to Honduras

10 Years In Honduras